Rare Tarantula Sighted in Tamil Nadu
- 28 Aug 2019
- 1 min read
The spider belonging to the Genus Poecilotheria, commonly known as the Peacock Parachute Spider or Gooty Tarantula was spotted in the Pakkamalai Reserve Forests in Villupuram District,Tamil Nadu.
- Peacock Parachute Spider (Gooty Tarantula)
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) has categorised it as Critically Endangered.
- It is endemic to India.
- The known habitat of this species is in the Eastern Ghats especially degraded forests near Nandyal in Andhra Pradesh.
- Species of this genus can be identified based on the banding patterns on the underside of the legs.
- Tarantulas are biological pest controllers and there is a huge demand for them by collectors in the pet trade. There is an urgent need to protect them.