Project Information System & Management: SERB
- 12 Mar 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Science and Engineering Board (SERB) has set up a portal called PRoject Information System & Management (PRISM) that offers real time information on the various research projects supported by it.
- About PRoject Information System & Management (PRISM):
- It is called ‘SERB – PRoject Information System & Management (SERB – PRISM)’.
- The e-platform will provide a whole range of information regarding all projects sanctioned by SERB from 2011 onwards, including funding details, status, research summary and project output details such as publications and patents.
- Significance of PRISM:
- The portal is expected to work as a comprehensive tool to help forge stronger scientist-scientist, and science-society connections.
- It may be linked with important sectors such as water, energy, and climate and with the new concept of Scientific Social Responsibility (SSR).
- It helps in the democratisation of Research & Development funding trends.
- Science and Engineering Board (SERB):
- It is a statutory body under the Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology established by an Act of the Parliament of India in 2009.
- It is chaired by the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Science and Technology and has other senior government officials and eminent scientists as members.
- It was set up for promoting basic research in science and engineering and to provide financial assistance to scientists, academic institutions, Research and Development laboratories, industrial concerns and other agencies for such research.
- It has a mandate to plan, promote and fund internationally competitive research in emerging areas.
- Some important schemes of SERB: