President's Visit to Chile
- 03 Apr 2019
- 2 min read
- Recently, the President of India completed his visit to the Republic of Chile.
India- Chile Relations
- Chile is India’s window to Latin America and to the Pacific Alliance.
- Chile is the fifth largest trading partner of India in the Latin American region.
- India- Chile signed the Preferential Trade Agreement in 2017 to enhance the trade.
- The bilateral trade is growing and stood at US$ 2.8 billion in 2017-18.
- India and Chile are partners in the International Solar Alliance.
- India- Chile signed three Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) in the fields of -mining, culture, disability.
- India- Chile commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations between Chile and India.
- Chile is officially known as the Republic of Chile. Its capital is Santiago.
- It is a South American country occupying a narrow strip of land between the Andes to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west.
- It borders Peru to the north, Bolivia to the northeast, Argentina to the east, and the Drake Passage in the south.
- The Atacama desert is one of the driest places in the world touches Chile in its northern side and is a source of sodium nitrate fertilizer.
- It owes it aridity due to a constant temperature inversion of cool north-flowing Humboldt ocean current.
- Chuquicamata is the World’s largest copper town of Chile.