Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2021
- 27 Aug 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
The Ministry of Women and Child Development has invited nominations for the Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar 2021 from children, individuals and institutions.
- The Awards are given by the President of India in the week preceding Republic Day (26th January) every year.
- The Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Bal Puraskar is given under two categories:
- Bal Shakti Puraskar, and
- Bal Kalyan Puraskar.
- Bal Shakti Puraskar:
- Recognition: It is given by the Government of India every year to recognize exceptional achievements of children in various fields i.e., innovation, scholastic achievements, social service, arts & culture, sports and bravery.
- Eligibility: A child who is an Indian Citizen and residing in India and is between 5-18 years of age.
- Award: A medal, a cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000, book vouchers worth Rs.10,000, a certificate and citation.
- Background: It was instituted in 1996 as the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement, renamed from 2018 as Bal Shakti Puraskar.
- Bal Kalyan Puraskar:
- Recognition: It is given as recognition to Individuals and Institutions, who have made an outstanding contribution towards service for children in the field of child development, child protection and child welfare.
- An individual who is an Indian Citizen and residing in India and should have attained the age of 18 years or above (as on 31st August of respective year). S/he should have worked for the cause of children for not less than 7 years.
- The institution should not be entirely funded by the government and should have been in the field of child welfare for 10 years and performing consistently in the field.
- Award: Three awards are given in each of the two categories - Individual and Institution - along with cash prizes (Rs. 1,00, 000 and Rs. 5,00, 000 respectively).
- Background: It was instituted in 1979 as the National Child Welfare Awards, renamed from 2018 as Bal Kalyan Puraskar.