Switch To Hindi
- 06 Nov 2018
- 2 min read
Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI) has approved the strategy for operationalization of OPERATION GREENS.
- Operation Greens was announced in the Budget speech of 2018-19 with an outlay of Rs 500 crores to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion
- Operation Greens wants to replicate the success story of Operation Flood in fruit and vegetables, starting with tomatoes, onions
- NAFED will be the nodal agency to implement these price
- The idea behind Operation Greens is to double the income of farmers by the end of 2022.
Major objectives of “Operation Greens”
- Enhancing value
realisationof TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their Farmer Producer Organizations, and linking/connecting them with the market.
- Price stabilization for producers and consumers by proper production planning in the TOP clusters and introduction of
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by the creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centers.
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in the TOP value chain with firm linkages with production clusters.
- Setting up of a market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
Operation Flood (white revolution)
Operation Flood was started by the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) in the 1970s. The objective of this programme was to create a nationwide milk grid and raise milk production in the country. It has helped India become the largest producer of milk in the world in 2016-17.