National Youth Day 2020
- 13 Jan 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
National Youth Day (NYD) is observed on Swami Vivekananda's birth anniversary on January 12 every year.
- To honour Swami Vivekananda's contributions to the country, the government in the year 1984, declared his birthday as National Youth Day.
- The main objective of NYD is to promote rational thinking among the youth. Youth is expected to rise to the values, principles and beliefs that Vivekananda lived by.
- National Youth Festival (NYF) 2020: On this occasion, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports and Uttar Pradesh government also jointly organized 23rd NYF 2020.
- The Government has been organizing National Youth Festival (NYF) since 1995.
- The objective of NYF is to provide an arena where youth can interact and exchange their social and cultural uniqueness. This blend of diverse socio-cultural milieu proves belief in ‘Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat’.
- The theme of the NYF 2020 is ‘FIT YOUTH FIT INDIA’.
Swami Vivekananda (1863-1902)
- He was born as Narendranath Datta on January 12, 1863.
- Introduced the world to the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga.
- He was the chief disciple of the 19th-century mystic Ramakrishna Paramhansa.
- Laid the greatest emphasis on education for the regeneration of our motherland. He advocated a man-making character-building education.
- Established the Ramakrishna Mission in 1897. It is an organization which works in the area of value-based education, culture, health, women's empowerment, youth and tribal welfare and relief and rehabilitation.
- He died at Belur Math in 1902. Belur Math, located in West Bengal, is the headquarters of Ramakrishna Math & Ramakrishna Mission.
- He was born as Gadadhar Chattopadhyay in 1836 in West Bengal.
- He was one of the leading Hindu spiritual leaders in the 19th century.
- He believed that the realization of the existence of God is the supreme goal of all living beings.