National Fish Farmers Day 2020
- 11 Jul 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, a webinar was hosted by the Department of Fisheries under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying in association with the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) on the occasion of National Fish Farmers Day, which is celebrated on 10th July every year.
- National Fish Farmers Day is celebrated in the memory of scientists Dr K. H. Alikunhi and Dr H. L. Chaudhury.
- Both of them successfully demonstrated Hypophysation (technology of induced breeding) in Indian Major Carps (common name for several species of fish) on 10th July 1957.
- To recognise the accomplishments and contribution of fish farmers, aquapreneurs (entrepreneurs in the water sector) and fisherfolks in the growth of the fisheries sector in the country.
- To draw attention to changing the way the country manages fisheries resources to ensure sustainable stocks and healthy ecosystems.
- Related Initiative:
- Fish Cryobanks:
- NFDB and the National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (NBFGR) will establish fish cryobanks in different parts of the country.
- The Cryomilt technology may be helpful in the establishment of fish cryobanks, which will provide good quality of fish sperm in hatcheries at any time.
- This would be the first time in the world when Fish Cryobanks will be established, enhancing fish production and increasing prosperity among the fish farmers.
National Fisheries Development Board
- It was established in 2006 as an autonomous organization under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Now, it works under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- To enhance fish production and productivity in the country and to coordinate fishery development in an integrated and holistic manner.
National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources
- It was established in December 1983, under the aegis of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- Exploration, characterization and cataloguing of fish genetic resources.
- Maintenance and preservation of fish genetic resources for conservation and utilization of prioritized species.
- Evaluation of indigenous and exotic germplasm including risk assessment and fish health.