- 23 Dec 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, a team of scientists from IIT Delhi won an innovation contest (Innovate 4 SDG) organised by the United Nation Development Programme (UNDP) Accelerator Lab India for their innovation of a “plant based mock egg”.
- UNDP Accelerator Lab India seeks to address some of the most pressing issues facing India, such as air pollution, sustainable water management and client-resilient livelihoods through innovation.
- The team secured the first prize and won 5,000 USD for their innovation.
- Mock Egg:
- It has been developed from very simple farm based crop proteins, which not only looks and tastes like an egg but is also very close in nutritional profile to poultry eggs.
- The development of the mock egg meets the protein needs of the diet-specific, health conscious, vegan and vegetarian people.
- The team has also developed meat analogues for chicken and fish from plant sources using fruits and vegetables.
- The plant based textured foods which resemble egg, fish and chicken have been developed with an aim to address the longstanding battle for malnutrition and clean protein food for people.