Mobile Science Exhibition
- 06 Sep 2019
- 3 min read
Recently, the first-ever Mobile Science Exhibition (Science Explorer) for the Ladakh region was launched by the Ministry of Culture in Leh.
- Apart from this, 25 new Mobile Science Exhibition buses for Aspirational Districts of India were also launched.
Aspirational Districts Programme
- It was launched in January 2018, with an objective to quickly and effectively transform some of the most underdeveloped districts of the country.
- 117 districts have been identified until now, at least one from each state.
- Each district is assigned a Prabhari (in-charge) officer from the Centre (of the additional secretary or joint secretary rank); a Prabhari officer from the State (of the rank of Secretary to State government) who will work in cooperation with the district administration.
Mobile Science Exhibitions
- Mobile Science Exhibitions (MSE) are basically science exhibitions on buses based on various themes of science and technology.
- It is an attempt of the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) to communicate science in rural and remote areas.
- The MSE or Museo-bus travels from school to school in rural areas and organize exhibitions there throughout the year.
- Its mission is ‘If the people cannot visit the museum, let the museum visit the people at their doorsteps’,
- The topics chosen for these exhibitions are:
- Machines in everyday life
- Food & Health
- Chemistry & Life with a focus on Water
- Hygiene & Sanitation
- Space Science for Human Welfare
- MSE is the largest and the longest-running outreach programme of NCSM.
- The First MSE was launched by Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata in the year 1965.
- Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata is the first science museum of India, opened in 1959.
National Council of Science Museums (NCSM)
- In 1978, the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) was established as a central coordinating agency for national science museums.
- NCSM, an autonomous Science & Technology institution under the Ministry of Culture jointly with the Department of Science & Technology (DST).
- NCSM is the world’s largest network of science centres and museums that functions under a single administrative umbrella.