- 31 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Prime Minister of India paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on his 72nd Death Anniversary at Gandhi Smriti, New Delhi.
- Martyr’s Day is observed on 30th January every year in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi and his contributions to the nation.
- 23rd March is also observed as Martyr's Day to pay tribute to three revolutionaries of India namely Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born on October 2, 1869, at Porbandar in Gujarat and died on January 30, 1948, at Gandhi Smriti, New Delhi.
- He was assassinated by Nathuram Godse in the Birla House during his evening prayers.
- He was a lawyer, politician, social activist, writer and became the leader of the nationalist movement against the British rule of India.
- He is considered the Father of the Nation.
- Gandhi and his ideologies played an important role in liberating India from the British.