Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman
- 16 Aug 2019
- 1 min read
The President of India has awarded the selected scholars with the MaharshiBadrayanVyas Samman for the year 2019.
- The Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman was instituted by the Government of India to honour young scholars, aged 30-45 years, in recognition of their significant contribution in the field of Persian, Arabic, Pali, Prakrit and Classical Indian languages.
- As of now, six languages i.e. Tamil, Sanskrit, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam and Odia have been given the status of classical languages.
- The criteria evolved by the Government to determine declaration of a language as a Classical language is as under:
- High antiquity of its early texts/recorded history over a period of 1500-2000 years.
- A body of ancient literature/texts, which is considered a valuable heritage by generations of speakers.
- The literary tradition be original and not borrowed from another speech community.
- The classical language and literature being distinct from modern, there may also be a discontinuity between the classical language and its later forms or its offshoots.