Legal Aid Clinic for Women
- 30 Mar 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, the National Commission for Women (NCW) in collaboration with Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA) has launched a Legal Aid Clinic.
What is the Legal Aid Clinic?
- It is a single-window facility for resolving grievances of women by offering them free legal assistance.
- NCW is also planning to set up similar legal services clinics in other State Commissions for Women.
- Under the new legal aid clinic, counselling will be provided for walk-in complainants, women in distress will be given legal assistance, advice and information on various schemes of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA)/ DSLSA, assistance in mahila jansunwai, free legal aid, hearings in matrimonial cases and other complaints registered with the Commission will be provided among other services.
What is the National Commission for Women?
- It was set up as a statutory body in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990.
- Its mission is to strive towards enabling women to achieve equality and equal participation in all spheres of life by securing her due rights and entitlements through suitable policy formulation, legislative measures, etc.
- Review the constitutional and legal safeguards for women.
- Recommend remedial legislative measures.
- Facilitate redressal of grievances.
- Advise the Government on all policy matters affecting women.