Switch To Hindi
LCA-Mk2 and AMCA
- 14 Sep 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
According to the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA), LCA Tejas-Mk2 will be rolled out in 2022 and the first flight in early 2023. Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) will be rolled out in 2024 and first flight in 2025.
- Simultaneously, the project for development of a twin-engine deck-based fighter jet meant to fly from the Navy’s aircraft carriers is also making progress.
- ADA is an autonomous body of the Ministry of Defence.
- It is a 4.5 generation aircraft which will be used by the Indian Air Force.
- It is a replacement for the Mirage 2000 class of aircraft.
- It has got a bigger engine and can carry 6.5 tonnes of payload.
- The technology is already developed in Light Combat Aircraft (LCA).
- The LCA programme began in the 1980s to replace India's ageing MiG-21 fighters.
- The LCA is being designed and developed with ADA as the nodal agency and State-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) being the principal partner.
- Its production is likely to start somewhere around 2025.
Variants of Tejas
- Tejas Trainer: 2-seater operational conversion trainer for training air force pilots.
- LCA Navy: Twin- and single-seat carrier-capable for the Indian Navy.
- LCA Tejas Navy MK2: This is phase 2 of the LCA Navy variant.
- LCA Tejas Mk-1A: This is an improvement over the LCA Tejas Mk1 with a higher thrust engine (Air Force).
- LCA Tejas Mk-2: Following the Mk-1A is the Mk-2 which will provide a high degree of manoeuverability.
- Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA):
- It is a fifth generation aircraft. And will be used by the Indian Air Force.
- It is a stealth aircraft, i.e. designed for stealth and unlike the LCA, which is designed for maneuverability.
- It has a unique shape to achieve low radar cross-section and has an internal carriage of weapons.
- When the external weapons are removed, this aircraft has enough fuel and weapons inside to do a very capable operational role in stealth mode.
- Over 1,000 km up to 3,000 km in different modes.
- Variants and Engine:
- It has two variants Mk-1 and Mk-2, While AMCA Mk-1 will have an imported engine, same as LCA Mk-2, the AMCA Mk-2 will have an indigenous engine.
- The manufacturing and production of the aircraft will be through a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV), which will also have participation of private industry.