Laser Surface Micro-Texturing
- 27 Mar 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The International Advanced Centre for Powder Metallurgy & New Materials (ARCI) has developed ultrafast laser surface texturing technology, which can improve the fuel efficiency of internal combustion engines.
- The technology helps to control friction and wear.
- Laser surface micro-texturing offers precise control of the size, shape and density of micro-surface texture features.
- In this technology, a pulsating laser beam creates micro-dimples or grooves on the surface of materials in a very controlled manner.
- Such textures can trap wear debris when operating under dry sliding conditions and sometimes provide effects like enhancing oil supply (lubricant reservoir) which can lower friction coefficients and may enable reduced wear rate.
International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI)
- It was established in the year 1997.
- It is an autonomous research and development centre of the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- Its main campus is located at Hyderabad with operations in Chennai and Gurgaon.
- ARCI's mandate is-
- Development of high-performance materials and processes for niche markets
- Demonstration of technologies at prototype/pilot scale
- Transfer of technology to Indian industry
- Surface engineering, ceramics, powder metallurgy and laser processing of materials constitute the four major thrust areas at ARCI.