Kazind – 2022
- 17 Dec 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
The 6th Edition of India - Kazakhstan joint training exercise “KAZIND-22” is being conducted at Umroi (Meghalaya).
What is Kazind – 2022?
- It is a joint annual training exercise with the Kazakhstan Army and was instituted in 2016 as Exercise Prabal Dostyk, which was later upgraded to a company level exercise and renamed as Ex Kazind in 2018.
- To build positive military relations, imbibe each other’s best practices and promote the ability to operate together while undertaking counter terrorist operations in semi urban / jungle scenario.
How is Kazakhstan Important for India?
- Surrounded by the Caspian Sea in the west to Russia in the North and China in the East, Kazakhstan, the largest country in Central Asia and the ninth largest country in the world asserts great strategic importance.
- Kazakhstan holds great significance to India especially in terms of energy resources and its economic potential and also due to its geo-strategic location.
- From the perspective of energy resources, Kazakhstan is the world’s largest producer of Uranium.
- India and Kazakhstan actively cooperate under the aegis of various multilateral fora including Confidence-Building Measures in Asia (CICA), Shanghai Cooperation Operation (SCO) and the United Nations (UN) organisations.