- 07 Nov 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
India has criticized Pakistan’s decision to transfer the management of the Kartarpur Sahib Gurdwara from a Sikh body to a separate trust.
- Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib, also known as the Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, is located in Pakistan’s Narowal district across river Ravi. It is one of the most significant historical and spiritual places for Sikhs.
- According to historians, the first Sikh Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) had arrived in Kartarpur between 1520 and 1522, and spent the last 18 years of his life there.
- It was in Kartarpur where he laid the foundations of a Sikh religion.
- The Kartarpur Corridor was thrown open in 2019.
- The Kartarpur corridor connects the Darbar Sahib Gurdwara in Narowal district of Pakistan with the Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district Punjab, India.
- The agreement facilitates visa-free movement of Indian pilgrims who would only need a permit to cross over to Pakistan.
- The corridor was built in 2019 to commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, founder of Sikhism.