Kargil Vijay Diwas
- 26 Jul 2019
- 1 min read
The 20th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas was observed on the 26th of July 2019.
- The theme of the 20th anniversary of the Kargil Vijay Diwas -‘Remember, Rejoice and Renew’.
- The theme reflects the emotion of the countrymen that we remember our martyrs by revisiting their sacrifices, we ‘rejoice’ by celebrating the victory in Kargil and we renew our resolve to safeguard the honour of the Tricolour.
History of Kargil War
- In the year 1999, India and Pakistan signed the Lahore Agreement to mutually resolve the Kashmir issue in a peaceful manner.
- However, the Pakistani troops began infiltrating toward Indian side of the Line of Control (LoC) under Operation Badr, hoping to cut off Indian Troops in Siachen. Indian Army responded by launching Operation Vijay.
- Indian Army released a book titled “Fire and Fury Corps-Saga of Valour, Fortitude and Sacrifice” which documents the courage and bravery warriors and portrays the rich heritage and ethos of the Indian Army to mark the 20th anniversary of Kargil War.