- 18 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, several instruments like seismometer, piezometer, slope meter stopped functioning properly at the Jayakwadi dam. The seismometer was installed at the Jayakwadi dam after the devastating earthquake in Latur district, Maharashtra in 1993.
- Jayakwadi Dam is located on the Godavari river in Aurangabad district, Maharashtra.
- The dam aims to address the dual problems of flooding along the banks during monsoon months, and that of drought during the rest of the year, particularly in the Marathwada region.
- The seismometer is an instrument used to measure and record seismic waves. Seismic waves study helps geologists to map the interior of the Earth, and measure and locate earthquakes and other ground motions like volcanic eruptions, explosions, etc. precisely.
- A piezometer is an instrument used for measuring the pressure of a liquid or gas or things related to pressure (such as the compressibility of liquid). It measures the strain of a liquid or fuel. They are often placed in boreholes to monitor the pressure or depth of groundwater.
- A slope meter is used to measure the angles of slope, elevation or despair of an object.