Jal Marg Vikas Project
- 16 Jul 2019
- 1 min read
The Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) for capacity augmentation of navigation on National Waterway-1 (NW-1) is being implemented by the support of World Bank.
- One of the major problems for a commercially viable and safe navigation on NW-1 is low depth upstream of Farakka barrage due to low discharges from tributaries and difficult hydro morphological characteristics of the river Ganga.
- The project will contribute in bringing down the logistics cost in the country and will provide an alternative mode of transport which will be environment friendly and cost effective.
- It is being implemented by the Inland Waterways Authority of India (Ministry of Shipping).
- The project envisages fairway development through performance based contract for least assured depth of 2.2 metres to 3 metres and bottom channel width of 45 metres, bank protection works, and provisions of navigation aids.
- The states that are being covered under the Project are Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal.
- The Project is expected to be completed by March, 2023.