Integrated Management of Public Distribution System
- 10 Jul 2019
- 2 min read
The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution has launched a new central sector scheme- Integrated Management of Public Distribution System (IMPDS). It will be implemented during 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The IMPDS system is already operational in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana and Tripura, wherein a beneficiary can avail his share of foodgrain from any district in the state.
- Implementation of nation-wide portability of ration cards to lift foodgrains from any fair price shop (FPS) across the country, moving towards ‘one nation one ration card’.
- Creation of national level data repository- for de-duplication of beneficiary data (Aadhaar based).
- Use of advanced data analytics techniques to bring about continuous improvements.
- It will bring more transparency and efficiency in the distribution of foodgrains.
- It will improve the mechanism to identify fake/duplicate ration cards and provide the option to PDS beneficiaries to lift their entitled foodgrains from the Fair Price Shops of their choice at the national level.
- The scheme will ensure food security of migrant labourers who move to other states to seek better job opportunities.