- 30 Sep 2019
- 1 min read
Recently, the Defence Minister has launched the first of the Navy's seven new stealth frigates named INS Nilgiri, in Mumbai.
- He also commissioned the largest dry dock of Indian Navy- the ‘Aircraft Carrier Dock’ at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai, terming it as an ‘edifice of modern India’.
- A dry dock is a narrow basin or vessel that can be flooded to allow a load to be floated in, then drained to allow that load to come to rest on a dry platform.
- They are used for the construction, maintenance, and repair of ships, boats, and other watercraft.
- INS Nilgiri is the first ship of the Project-17A.
- Project 17A frigates is a design derivative of the Shivalik class stealth frigates with much more advanced stealth features and indigenous weapons and sensors.
- The P17A frigates incorporate new design concepts for improved survivability, sea keeping, stealth and ship manoeuvrability.
- These frigates are being built using integrated construction methodology.