- 30 Sep 2019
- 1 min read
The Galos are one of the major communities which dominate Siang, Lepa Rada, Upper Subansiri and Namsai districts of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Galos belong to the Tani group inhabiting Assam and Arunachal Pradesh, besides Tibet.
- Communities like the Mising (Assam), Adi, Apatani, Nyishi, Tagin, and Galos trace their common origin to a primaeval ancestor, Abotani.
- Among all the communities only the Galos maintain genealogy through given names.
- Galo community has been recognized as a Scheduled Tribe in the Amendment to the Constitution (ST), Order, 1950, Part-XVIII.
- Mopin is the main festival in Galos which is celebrated for the prosperity of the villages
- The Galos perform Popir dance.