Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) Initiative
- 24 Mar 2020
- 2 min read
- iDEX is an initiative taken by the government to contribute towards modernization of the Defence Industry.
- It was launched by the Government in April 2018.
- iDEX aims to promote innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace by engaging Industries (which includes MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes & academia).
- iDEX will provide the engaging industries with funding and other support to carry out Research & Development.
- iDEX will be funded and managed by Defence Innovation Organization (DIO), and will function as the executive arm of DIO.
Other Initiatives to Modernize Defence Industry
- Strategic Partnership (SP) Model- It identifies a few Indian private companies who would initially tie up with global Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to seek technology transfers to set up domestic manufacturing infrastructure and supply chains.
- Artificial Intelligence in Defence
- N Chadrasekharan Task Force was set up in 2018 to study implications of AI in national security.
- Defence Artificial Intelligence Project Agency (DAIPA) was created in March, 2019.
- DAIPA aims for greater thrust on Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Defence, formulation of an AI roadmap for each Defence PSU and Ordnance Factory Board to develop AI-enable products.
Defence Innovation Organization (DIO)
- DIO is a ‘not for profit’ company registered under Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013. Its two founding members are Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) & Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) - Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs). HAL and BEL are navratna companies.