Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services
- 07 Mar 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad celebrated International Women's Day (March 8).
- INCOIS is an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES).
- It is located in Hyderabad & was established in 1999.
- It is a unit of the Earth System Science Organization (ESSO), New Delhi.
- It is mandated to provide the best possible ocean information and advisory services to society, industry, government agencies and the scientific community through sustained ocean observations and constant improvement through systematic and focused research.
Earth System Science Organization
- The ESSO operates as an executive arm of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) for its policies and programmes.
- Aim: to develop and improve capability to forecast, weather, climate and hazard related phenomena for social, economic and environmental benefits including addressing aspects relating to climate change science, and climate services.
- It is also responsible for the development of technology towards the exploration and exploitation of marine resources.
- It has four major branches of earth sciences.
- Ocean Science & Technology
- Atmospheric and Climate Science
- Geoscience and Technology
- Polar Science and Cryosphere