India Science Research Fellowship 2021
- 08 Mar 2021
- 3 min read
Why in News
Forty scholars from six countries have been recommended for award of Indian Science Research Fellowship (ISRF) 2021.
- This fellowship is a platform to establish research cooperation with neighbouring countries of India, which is one of the mandates of DST’s (Department of Science and Technology) International Science and Technology Cooperation.
- About India Science Research Fellowship (ISRF):
- As part of India’s initiatives to engage with neighbouring countries to develop S&T partnerships, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) has launched ISRF Programme.
- This fellowship is for scholars from the neighbouring countries - Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand.
- ISRF programme has provided an opportunity to the young researchers from neighbouring countries to get access to the state of art facilities available in the Indian institutes/universities.
- ISRF has been implemented since 2015.
- Significance of the Fellowship:
- Science Diplomacy: Enlarging India’s pursuit of influence in global arena/platforms and mainstreaming Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) into international diplomacy and foreign relation.
- Technological Advancement in the South Asia region.
International Science and Technology Cooperation
- About: The International S&T Cooperation (IC) Division of DST has the mandated responsibility of
- negotiating, concluding and implementing Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Agreements between India and other countries, and
- providing interventions on STI aspects in international forums.
- In showcasing and projecting India’s scientific excellence in the global research landscape,
- Leveraging foreign alliances and partnerships to accelerate key priorities and programs devoted to strengthening India’s national science and technology (S&T)/ Research and Development (R&D) competencies-capabilities-access to technologies in synergies with national flagship programs.
- IC Division is partnering in the following International programs-