Important Facts For Prelims (17th April 2019)
- 17 Apr 2019
- 5 min read
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment as the nodal ministry for the cause of senior citizens, has been celebrating the International day of Older Persons since 2005 by conferring Vayoshreshtha Sammans to eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of elderly persons, especially indigent senior citizens.
- In 2013, the Vayoshreshtha Sammans were upgraded as a “National Award”.
- The Awards are given to institutions/organisations/individuals from any part of the country.
- Given in 13 categories, nominations for the year 2019 awards have started.
International day of Older Persons (IDOP)
- On 14 December 1990, the United Nations General Assembly designated 1st October as the ‘International Day of Older Persons’.
- It is celebrated every year to pay attention to the particular needs and challenges faced by many older people.
- The theme for the year 2018 celebration was " Celebrating Older Human Rights Champions".
Saturn’s Moon Titan
- Using data from Cassini spacecraft, scientists have found that the Saturn's moon Titan has lakes of liquid Methane.
- With this discovery, Titan becomes the only planetary body in our solar system other than Earth which has stable liquid on its surface.
- It is the second largest planet after Jupiter in our Solar System.
- Saturn is a Jovian planet i.e. it is completely made up of gas.
- Along with Uranus and Neptune, Saturn is the only planet which has rings.
- As of now, Saturn has 53 confirmed moons orbiting it.
- Titan is largest of all moons of the Saturn and second largest moon in Solar system after Jupiters Ganymede.
- Launched: Oct. 15, 1997
- End of Mission: Sept. 15, 2017
- Significance: Cassini orbited and studied the Saturn and its moons in detail.
- Cassini mission also landed the Huygens probe on Saturn’s largest moon, Titan, in January 2005.
- The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) has evolved grafting technology – to boost the yield of Brinjal.
- It is the method in which the cut stem of two different plants- one with root and other without root, are joined together in such a way that the two stem grows as a single plant. This new plant has the characteristics of both the plants.
- The cut stem of plant having root is called stock and the cut stem of another plant is called Scion.
- It boosts plant growth by increasing the uptake of nutrients and developing resistance to soil-borne diseases with suitable rootstocks.
- Grafting is used in a variety of plants like roses, apples, avocado, etc.
Home Expo India 2019
- The 8th edition of HOME EXPO INDIA 2019 opened at India Expo Centre and Mart, Greater Noida.
- It has been organized by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
- EPCH is the nodal export promotion body for handicrafts in India and plays an important role with the main objective of boosting trade in handicrafts and also projects India’s image in the global market as a reliable supplier.
Notre-Dame de Paris
- It is a medieval Catholic cathedral located on an island in Seine River in the Paris, France.
- The cathedral is consecrated to the Virgin Mary and considered to be one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture.
- The cathedral construction began in 1160 and completed by 1260.
- In 1804, the cathedral was the site of the Coronation of Napoleon I as Emperor of France.
- It contains Holy Crown of Thorns the most precious item of Holy relics and relics from the crucifixion of Jesus- a piece of the cross on which he was nailed and one of the nails.