Important Facts for Prelims (13th October 2018)
- 13 Oct 2018
- 5 min read
Sikkim Won UN-backed Award
- India’s first fully organic state, Sikkim, won Future Policy Award 2018.
- Sikkim’s policies of green agriculture have helped more than 66,000 farmers, boosted tourism and has set an example for others to follow.
- Sikkim was declared fully organic in 2016 after phasing out chemical fertilizers and pesticides and substituting them with sustainable alternatives.
- This year’s award was for agroecology. This award has previously honored policies combating desertification, violence against women and girls, nuclear weapons and pollution of the oceans.
- Agroecology is an integrated approach that simultaneously applies ecological and social concepts and principles to the design and management of food and agricultural systems.
- It seeks to optimize the interactions between plants, animals, humans and the environment while taking into consideration the social aspects that need to be addressed for a sustainable and fair food system.
- The Future Policy Award 2018 is convened by the Food Agriculture Organization, the World Future Council, IFOAM-Organics International with the support of Green Cross International, DO-IT - Dutch Organic International Trade and Sekem Group (Egypt).
Kaziranga National Park
- Kaziranga National park (KNP) reopens for tourists after a gap of around six months.
- KNP, formed in 1908 is located in the edge of the Eastern Himalayan biodiversity hotspots - Golaghat and Nagaon district.
- In the year 1985, the park was declared as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- It was declared as Tiger Reserve in 2006.
- Also, the park is recognized as an Important Bird Area by BirdLife International. It is home to the world's largest population of Indian Rhinoceros.
- The park area is circumscribed by the Brahmaputra River, which forms the northern and eastern boundaries, and the Mora Diphlu, which forms the southern boundary. Other notable rivers within the park are the Diphlu and Mora Dhansiri.
BaavanButi is a weaving technique from Nalanda, Bihar. It draws its name from 52 ( baavan) motifs used in the handloom.
- Sujini, an embroidery technique from Bihar, is used to make blankets or bed-spread.
- Sujini was given protection under GI registration tag in 2006.
- Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district is home to Sabai grass (Eulaliopsis
binata) that has been used in making ropes and other products for centuries.
Atal Innovation Mission & SIRIUS Educational Foundation
- To promote innovative cooperation between students of India and Russia, a Memorandum of Understanding was exchanged between India’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and the Russian Federation’s SIRIUS Educational Foundation.
- The MoU plans to:
- Remove cultural and language barriers between students of Russia and India.
- Share the best practices in the promotion of educational, scientific, innovative achievements, promote innovative cooperation.
- Search and develop talented youth of both countries fostering a knowledge driven innovation ecosystem in both the countries.
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is NITI Aayog’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in India.
- AIM has been established to create and promote an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship in a holistic manner through various initiatives at school, university and industry levels.
- AIM also serves as a platform for promotion of world-class Innovation Hubs, Grand Challenges, Start-up businesses and other self-employment activities in India, leveraging state of the art, advanced and affordable emerging technologies.
- The Atal Innovation Mission has thus two core functions:
- Innovation promotion: to provide a platform where innovative ideas are generated.
- Entrepreneurship promotion: Wherein innovators would be supported and mentored to become successful entrepreneurs at Incubation Centres.
SIRIUS Educational Foundation
- SIRIUS Educational Foundation has been founded by “Talent and success” Foundation and Government of Russia.
- Fund “Talent and success” is a unitary, non-profit, non-standard educational organization in Russia .
- The activities of the Foundation are aimed to identify and support children and young people who have shown outstanding abilities.