Home Delivery of Shahi Lichi and Zardalu Mango
- 26 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Government of Bihar has partnered with the Department of Posts to supply ''Shahi Lichi'' and "Zardalu Mango'' to the people at doorstep.
- This has been done to meet the demand of the public and for giving market space directly to farmers to sell their fruits without any middlemen.
- Shahi Lichi:
- The Shahi Lichi is a variety of lichi that is grown in Muzaffarpur and has high pulp and is juicier compared to the litchi grown in other parts of the country.
- Humid condition and alluvial soil having fairly good amount of calcium content in Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga, and nearby areas, proved ideal for lichi cultivation in Bihar.
- India is the second largest producer of lichi in the world after China and Bihar is the leading state for lichi production in the country. Production is mostly organic.
- It was accorded the Geographical Indication (GI) tag recognition in 2018.
- Lichi is most commonly blamed for the Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) outbreak in Bihar.
- However, experts are of the view that fruit is only a triggering factor for malnourished children as the toxin methylenecyclopropyl glycine (MCPG) can lead to hypoglycemia (fall in sugar levels) in undernourished children that in turn results into unconsciousness, coma and even death.
- AES is a basket term used for referring to hospital, children with clinical neurological manifestations which include mental confusion, disorientation, convulsion, delirium or coma.
- Zardalu Mango:
- Zardalu is a unique mango variety from Bhagalpur.
- It is known for its light yellow skin and distinct special aroma.
- It was accorded the Geographical Indication (GI) tag in 2018.