HakkiPikki Tribe of Karnataka
- 12 May 2021
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, some people of the HakkiPikki Tribe survived Covid-19 in Karnataka.
- The HakkiPikki tribes are semi nomadic tribal people, have four clans namely the Gujrathioa, Kaliwala, Mewara and Panwara.
- They speak many south Indian languages such as Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam along with Vagribooli which is similar to Guajarati.
- The HakkiPikki, meaning “bird catchers” in Kannada.
- It is a Scheduled Tribe in Karnataka.
- Origin and History:
- The origin of HakkiPikki tribal communities has a rich history and is said to be an ancestral relation with the legendary Ranapratap Singh.
- The HakkiPikki tribal community are a Kshatriya or warrior tribal community who had to migrate to southern India after their defeat with Mughal kings.