GRAP to be Enforced in Delhi-NCR
- 15 Oct 2018
- 3 min read
Environmental Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA) will implement an emergency action plan in Delhi to tackle rising air pollution.
- The emergency plan is called the Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP).
- Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP) was prepared by the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change (MoEFCC) after the order of Supreme Court of December 2016.
- GRAP includes the measures which will be taken by different government agencies to prevent worsening of Air Quality of Delhi-NCR (National Capital Region) and prevent PM10 and PM2.5 levels to go beyond ‘moderate’ national Air Quality Index (AQI) category.
- The EPCA is mandated to enforce the Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP) in the city as per the pollution levels.
Types of measures under Graded Response Action Plan (GRAP):
- Measures to be taken are divided into different categories based on the Pollution level:
|Category||Ambient Particulate Matter (PM) Concentration||Measures|
|Moderate to Poor||
|Severe+ or Emergency||
National Air Quality Index (AQI)
- National Air Quality Index (AQI) is under the aegis of the CPCB.
- AQI has been developed to inform people about the level of eight pollutants— PM2.5, PM10, Ammonia, Lead, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, ozone, and carbon monoxide.