Global Youth Mobilization Initiative
- 22 Apr 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, an initiative called the ‘Global Youth Mobilization’ has been launched for youths in communities impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.
- A Global Youth Summit (GYS), to be held virtually on 23rd-25th April 2021, marks the starting point for young people to get involved in the mobilization.
- The GYS aims to offer young people aged 14-30 new insights, skills and contacts, as well as a platform to engage with their peers, leaders and policy makers.
- About: It is a movement of young people taking action to improve their lives now and in a post-Covid-19 world.
- Aim: To address the negative impact of the pandemic on young people and support them to build back better.
- Organisations Involved: It is supported by the world’s six largest youth organisations, World Health Organization (WHO), and United Nations (UN) Foundation.
- Need: There are an estimated 1.2 billion young people impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic response measures.
- Disruptions to education, employment, services and social support have changed the future of an entire generation.
- Funding: With support from the Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund, Global Youth Mobilization will support and scale-up youth-led solutions and youth engagement programs across the world.
- The Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund was established by the WHO with the help of the UN Foundation and the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation.