Important Facts For Prelims
Fridays For Future Movement
- 26 Sep 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, students and youth under the banner of Fridays For Future (FFF) protested outside the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) demanding scrapping of Draft Environment Impact Assessment, 2020 and the government to act against the climate crisis.
- Global Climate Movement:
- FFF is a dynamic global student movement pushing for immediate action on climate change through active campaigning and advocacy.
- The movement was inspired by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg, who sat in protest in front of the Swedish parliament for three weeks in 2018 to draw attention to the climate emergency.
- Greta Thunberg was recently awarded the Right Livelihood Award-2019, also known as Sweden's alternative Nobel Prize.
- The FFF movement was chosen as Champion of the Earth award for inspiration and action because of its role in highlighting the devastating effects of climate change.
- Goals: The main goals of the movement is to put moral pressure on policy-makers, to make them listen to scientists and then to take action to limit global warming.
- Demand: Keep the global temperature rise below 1.5°C compared to pre-industrial levels (Key outcome of Paris climate deal).
- Ensure climate justice and equity.
- Listen to the best science currently available to deal with the climate crisis.
- Demand for Delhi: The demand for Delhi includes saving the Aravallis, improved sewage management plants to prevent pollution of the Yamuna, public participation in policy-making and better environmental education in schools.
Champions of the Earth Award
- It is the United Nations’ flagship global environmental award. It was established by the UN Environment Programme in 2005 to celebrate outstanding figures whose actions have had a transformative positive impact on the environment.
- The awards recognize persons who are working to protect earth for the next generation.