Digital Initiatives by WCL
- 08 Jun 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Coal India Subsidiary-Western Coalfields Ltd (WCL) has launched a surveillance system called WCL EYE for monitoring its mining operations and a mobile application named SAMVAAD to connect with its employees and stakeholders.
- WCL EYE:
- It is a digital surveillance system that will monitor operations of 15 major mines of the company, accounting for 70% of the company’s coal production.
- It will monitor coal stocks and availability of coal at sidings.
- It will also monitor the placement of rakes and loading at railway sidings and ensure accountability.
- It is a mobile and desktop app for employees & stakeholders.
- It will provide a virtual platform for suggestion/feedback/experience sharing.
- The Quick Response Teams will respond to the queries and feedback in 7 days mandated period.
Coal India Limited
- CIL is a Maharatna Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) that came into being in November 1975.
- It is the world's single largest coal producer.
- It produces around 83% of India’s overall coal production and provides for 40% of primary commercial energy requirement.
- In pursuance to initiatives towards development of clean coal technology, CIL is planning to set-up a coal-based Methanol plant in the premises of Dankuni Coal Complex (DCC) near Kolkata.
Coal Sector under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan
- Commercial mining has been introduced on the basis of a revenue-sharing mechanism, ending the government monopoly in coal mining.
- Coal Gasification or Liquefaction will be incentivised.
- Infrastructure investment worth Rs 50,000 crores will be done to boost production.
- Mining plan simplification will be undertaken to incentivise production.