Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar
- 18 Oct 2019
- 1 min read
As part of the Indian Navy's Overseas Deployment, four indigenously built ships of the Indian Navy are visiting the ports at Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar located in Tanzania.
- Zanzibar an island in the Indian Ocean, is located off the coast of east-central Africa.
- In 1964 Zanzibar, Pemba Island and some other smaller islands joined to form the United Republic of Tanzania.
- It is located on the Indian Ocean trade routes making it accessible to both traders and colonists from Arabia, South Asia, and the African mainland.
- Zanzibar and Pemba are believed to have once formed part of the African continent.
- The raised sands and sandstones with varied residual deposits are found on Zanzibar and Pemba islands which are similar to the alluvial deposits present on the African mainland
Dar es Salaam
- It is the largest city and economic capital of Tanzania.
- It is located in a bay off the Indian Ocean coast.
- The city has developed into the economic importance of the entire East African region.