Child Abuse Prevention and Investigation Unit
- 16 Nov 2019
- 2 min read
Why in News
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has set up an Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSAE) Prevention/Investigation Unit at its headquarter in New Delhi.
- The unit will function under the CBI’s Special Crime Zone.
- The unit's territorial jurisdiction would be throughout the country.
Functions of the Unit
- It will probe offences covered under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and the Information Technology (IT) Act, apart from other relevant laws.
- It will collect and disseminate information on online child sexual abuse and exploitation.
- The incidence of online child sexual abuse and exploitation generally transcends international borders.
- Numerous references related to dissemination of Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) have been received from the Interpol and other national/international organisations.
Central Bureau of Investigation
- CBI is the premier investigating police agency in India.
- It functions under the superintendence of the Ministry of Personnel, Pension & Public Grievances.
- However for investigations of offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, its superintendence vests with the Central Vigilance Commission.
- It is the nodal agency in India which coordinates investigation on behalf of Interpol member countries.