Central Employment Guarantee Council
- 04 Jun 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recently, the 21st meeting of the Central Employment Guarantee Council was held through video-conferencing.
- The government highlighted the work done under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), 2005, by providing employment to rural people.
- The government has allocated Rs. 61,500 crore for MGNREGA for the Financial Year 2020-21, which is an all-time high.
- Additional provision of Rs. 40,000 crore has been made for this programme under Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan to provide employment to the needy workers during the difficult period due to Covid-19.
- The government has also stressed on the irrigation and water conservation activities under the MGNREGA.
- Central Employment Guarantee Council:
- The Central Council has been constituted under Section 10 of the MGNREGA.
- It is chaired by the Minister of Rural development.
- It is responsible for advising the Central Government on MGNREGA related matters, and for monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the Act.
- It prepares Annual Reports on the implementation of MGNREGA for submission to Parliament.