Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
C40 World Mayors’ Summit
- 12 Oct 2019
- 2 min read
The C40 World Mayors’ Summit is being held from 9th-12th October 2019 in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- It is a conference where city leaders from around the world share ideas on green urban development, and on ways to get national governments to act on climate issues.
- Apart from Mayors and Deputy Mayors, the Summit is being attended by climate experts, influencers, business leaders, innovators, changemakers, and citizens.
- Over the past decade, C40 has convened six Mayors Summits, hosted by London (2005), New York (2007), Seoul (2009), São Paulo (2011), Johannesburg (2014) and Mexico City (2016).
- Each C40 Mayors Summit has provided unique opportunities for the mayors of the world’s great cities to showcase their climate leadership on the global stage.
- C40 Summits are known for publishing important research, showcasing innovations by cities, and for forging global partnerships.
- At the 2019 Summit, the Mayor of Los Angeles has taken over as chair of the group.
- The cities from India that are part of the C40 are Delhi NCT, Bengaluru, Chennai, and Kolkata.
- The C40 group was started in 2005 by the then Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone, and got its name in 2006, since it had 40 members that year.
- It has 96 members at present, representing over 70 crore people, and one-quarter of the global economy.
- It connects the world's largest cities to deliver urgent and essential climate action needed to secure a sustainable future for urban citizens worldwide.
- The group is committed to delivering on climate targets set under the 2016 Paris Agreement, and sets the bar for cities to develop and implement local level plans that comply with those targets.
- It has its offices in New York, USA and London, UK.