Important Facts For Prelims
Bibi ka Maqbara of Aurangabad
- 06 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) will undertake scientific conservation of Bibi Ka Maqbara located in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- It is a famous 17th century Mughal-era monument in the city of Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- It was commissioned by Emperor Aurangzeb in 1660 in the memory of his wife Dilras Banu Begum.
- The structure is known as the ‘Taj of the Deccan’ because of its striking resemblance to the Taj Mahal.
- The domes, minarets and the marble screens inside are built in marble.
Archaeological Survey of India
- ASI is the premier organization for the archaeological research, scientific analysis, excavation of archaeological sites, conservation and preservation of protected monuments.
- It is an attached office under the Department of Culture, Ministry of Culture.
- It was founded in 1861 by Alexander Cunningham, who became its first Director-General.