Important Facts For Prelims
Army Tag for New Gecko
- 19 Feb 2022
- 2 min read
Why in News?
Recently, a team of herpetologists have recorded a new species of bent-toed gecko from a wooded part of the Umroi Military Station in Meghalaya.
- Its scientific name is Crytodactylus exercitus and its English name is Indian Army’s bent-toed gecko.
- Further, another new bent-toed gecko, the Cyrtodactylus siahaensis named after Mizoram’s Siaha district where it was found.
- A herpetologist is someone who specializes in the study of reptiles and amphibians.
What are Geckos?
- Geckos are reptiles and are found on all the continents except Antarctica.
- These colorful lizards have adapted to habitats from rainforests, to deserts, to cold mountain slopes.
- Over a long period of time, geckos have developed special physical features to help them survive and avoid predators.
- Gecko tails serve many purposes. They help balance their weight as they climb branches, they act as fuel tanks to store fat, and as camouflage to help them disappear into their environment.
- Geckos are also able to shed their tails if a predator grabs them.
- Most geckos are nocturnal, which means they are active at night, but day geckos are active during the day and nibble on insects, fruits, and flower nectar.
- Most geckos make noises such as chirping, barking, and clicking when they are defending their territory or attracting a mate.
- There are many species of geckos. Depending on the species, their endangered status can range from least concern to critically endangered.