ARIIA 2020 Rankings
- 21 Aug 2020
- 3 min read
Why in News
Recently, the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) 2020 rankings was announced.
- Around 674 institutions participated in the ARIIA rankings in 2020 compared with 496 in 2019.
Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA)
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Education, Government of India to systematically rank all the major higher educational institutions and universities in India on indicators related to “Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development” amongst students and faculties.
- More than quantity, ARIIA focuses on quality of innovations and tries to measure the real impact created by these innovations nationally and internationally.
- Rank Categorisation:
- Two broad categories: publicly funded institutions and private or self-financed institutions.
- The publicly funded institutions have been further categorized into:
- Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & Central Funded Technical Institutes.
- State University & Deemed Universities (Government & Government Aided)
- Government and Government / Aided College/Institutes
- The private or self-financed institutions have been categorized further into:
- private or self-financed universities
- private or self-financed college/institutes
- A 6th sub- category for higher educational institutions for women has been introduced in 2020 to encourage women and bringing gender parity in the areas of innovation and entrepreneurship
- Major Indicators For Rankings:
- Budget & Funding Support.
- Infrastructure & Facilities.
- Awareness, Promotions & support for Idea Generation & Innovation.
- Promotion & Support for Entrepreneurship Development.
- Innovative Learning Methods & Courses.
- Intellectual Property Generation, Technology Transfer & Commercialization.
- Innovation in Governance of the Institution.
- List of Topper Institutes in 2020:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras in Institute of National Importance, Central Universities & Central Funded Technical Institutes category.
- Maharashtra’s Institute of Chemical Technology in the government and government-aided universities category.
- College of Engineering Pune in the government and government aided college/institutions category.
- Odisha’s Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) in the private or self-financed universities category.
- SR Engineering College, Telangana in the private colleges category.
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Sciences and Higher Education, Coimbatore in the higher educational institutions for women category.