Annual Flamingo Festival at Pulicat Lake
- 28 Dec 2019
- 1 min read
Why in News
The annual Flamingo Festival is to be held in January at Pulicat lake.
- The Pulicat lake supports rich biodiversity and high biomass of fishes and planktons which is utilised as food resources by visiting birds. Thus about 75 aquatic and terrestrial bird species visit the sanctuary every year.
- The number of birds is much higher than usual due to abundant rains in 2019.
- It is the second-largest brackish water ecosystem in the country after the Chilika Lake (Odisha).
- It is located on the border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. It lies majorly in Andhra Pradesh.
- The large varieties of birds like grey pelicans, painted storks, visit the site annually.
- Grey Pelican and Painted Stork both are near-threatened species under IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.