- 01 Jun 2021
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Ropar, Punjab has developed a first-of-its-kind IoT (Internet of Things) device – AmbiTag that records real-time ambient temperature during the transportation of perishable products, vaccines and even body organs and blood.
- The device has been developed under Technology Innovation Hub – AWaDH (Agriculture and Water Technology Development Hub) and it's Startup ScratchNest.
Agriculture and Water Technology Development Hub
- About AmbiTAG:
- This is shaped as a USB (Universal Serial Bus) device.
- It is India's first indigenous temperature data logger for cold chain management.
- It continuously records the temperature of its immediate surroundings from -40 to +80 degrees in any time zone for a full 90 days on a single charge.
- Most of the similar devices available in the international market record data only for a duration of 30- 60 days.
- It generates an alert when the temperature goes beyond a pre-set limit.
- The recorded data can be retrieved by connecting the USB with any computer.
- Besides perishable items including vegetables, meat and dairy products, it can also monitor the temperature of animal semen during transit.
- The device will be made available to all companies involved in Covid-19 vaccine transportation from production facilities to the last mile vaccination centers in the country.
- It is a push towards Atmanirbhar Bharat as such devices are being imported by India in a massive quantity from other countries such as Singapore, Hong Kong, Ireland, and China.