Switch To Hindi
Amalgamation of ODOP with DEH Initiative
- 08 Dec 2022
- 5 min read
For Prelims: One District One Product (ODOP), Districts as Export Hub (DEH) Initiative, PMFME Scheme, GeM Portal.
For Mains: Significance of One District One Product and Districts as Export Hub (DEH) Initiative, Ways to Improve Agricultural Marketing.
Why in News?
Recently, One District One Product (ODOP) approach has been operationally merged with ‘Districts as Export Hub (DEH)’ initiative.
What is the ODOP Approach?
- ODOP is an approach adopted under the Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme.
- It will provide for the framework for value chain development and alignment of support infrastructure of the PMFME scheme. There may be more than one cluster of ODOP products in one district.
- There may be a cluster of ODOP products consisting of more than one adjacent district in a State.
- The States would identify food products for districts keeping in view the existing clusters and availability of raw material.
- The ODOP could be a perishable produce based or cereal based or a food item widely produced in an area. E.g., mango, potato, pickle, millet-based products, fisheries, poultry, etc.
- Certain other traditional and innovative products including waste to wealth products could be supported under the Scheme.
- For example, honey, minor forest products in tribal areas, traditional Indian herbal edible items like turmeric, amla, haldi, etc.
- Adopting a cluster approach will help in the development of specific agriproducts in districts having a comparative advantage.
- It would lead to easing in providing common facilities and other support services.
What are the Achievements of ODOP?
- The ODOP Government e-Marketplace (GeM) Bazaar was launched in August 2022 with over 200 product categories to promote sales and procurement of ODOP products across the country.
- ODOP products were showcased in various International forums such as World Economic Forum’s Davos Summit, International Yoga day (IYD), etc.
- The ODOP initiative was identified for the prestigious Prime Minister’s Award for Excellence in Public Administration in Holistic Development.
- Related to DEH:
- State Export Promotion Committee (SEPC) and District Export Promotion Committee (DEPC) have been constituted in all States/Union Territories (UTs).
- Products/services with export potential have been identified in 734 Districts across the country.
- State Export Strategy has been prepared in 28 States/UTs
- Draft District Export Action Plan (DEAP) has been prepared for 570 Districts
- A web portal to monitor the progress of DEAP in all the Districts has been developed by the Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT).
What is ‘Districts as Export Hub’ Initiative?
- DEH aims to convert each district into an export hub for which Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce & Industry through DGFT is engaging with State / UT Governments.
- As part of this initiative, an institutional mechanism is being set up in each District in the form of DEPCs that may be headed by the District Magistrate/Collector/Deputy Collector/District Development Officer of the District and various other stakeholders as its members.
- The primary function of the DEPC will be to prepare and act on DEAP in collaboration with all the relevant stakeholders from the center, State and the District level.
- DEAP will include clear identification of products (goods and services) with export potential in the District. It may include:
- Institutional/other responsibilities
- Specifics of policy, regulatory and operational reform, and infrastructure/utilities/logistics interventions
- Import export formalities
- Identification of bottlenecks/Issues in Geographical Identification (GI) production, registration, marketing and its exports.
UPSC Civil Services Examination, Previous Year Questions (PYQs)
Q. Can the strategy of regional-resource based manufacturing help in promoting employment in India? (2019)
Q. What are the main bottlenecks in upstream and downstream process of marketing of agricultural products in India? (2022)