Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH) MK-III Squadron
- 02 Dec 2022
- 1 min read
Why in News?
Recently, an Indian Coast Guard Advanced Light Helicopter Mk-III squadron has been commissioned in Chennai.
What are the Key Facts about ALH Squadron?
- The ALH Mk-III helicopters, indigenously manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), feature state-of-the-art equipment.
- It includes advanced radar as well as electro-optical sensors, Shakti engines, full glass cockpit, high-intensity searchlight, advanced communication systems, automatic identification system as well as search-and-rescue homer.
- This feature enables the helicopter to undertake maritime reconnaissance as well as carry out search and rescue at extended ranges while operating from ships, both by day and night.
- The aircraft has the ability to switch roles from an offensive platform with a heavy machine gun to that of a benign one carrying a medical intensive care unit to facilitate the transfer of critically ill patients.
- The Squadron will give a major fillip to the abilities of the Indian Coast Guard in the security sensitive waters off Tamil Nadu and Andhra Region.