Important Facts For Prelims
63rd General Conference of IAEA
- 21 Sep 2019
- 2 min read
On the sidelines of the 63rd general conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), India launched a global cancer care network, “NCG-Vishwam Cancer Care Connect” (NCG-Vishwam 3C).
- NCG-Vishwam envisages integration of hospitals and relevant cancer care institutes in partner countries with the National Cancer Grid (NCG) of India.
- Vishwam is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘universal’ or ‘global’.
- NCG managed by Tata Memorial Centre (TMC), was established in 2012 with the vision of creating uniform standards of cancer care across India and this has grown to a large network of 183 cancer centres, and hospitals.
- Eleven countries such as Russia, Kazakhstan, Vietnam, Nepal, UAE showed interests in the NCG-Vishwam soon after its launch.
International Atomic Energy Agency
- Widely known as the world’s “Atoms for Peace and Development” organization within the United Nations family, the IAEA is the international centre for cooperation in the nuclear field.
- The Agency works with its Member States and multiple partners worldwide to promote safe, secure and peaceful use of nuclear technologies.
- The IAEA was created in 1957 in response to the deep fears and expectations generated by the discoveries and diverse uses of nuclear technology.
- IAEA’s headquarters is in Vienna, Austria.
- It is an independent international organization that reports annually to the UN General Assembly. When necessary, the IAEA also reports to the UN Security Council in regards to instances of members’ non-compliance with safeguards and security obligations.