244th Independence Day of USA
- 06 Jul 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
The USA celebrated the 244th anniversary of American Independence Day on 4th July 2020.
- Indian Prime Minister also congratulated the USA on the same occasion.
- Throughout the 1760s and early 1770s, the American colonies found themselves increasingly at odds with British imperial policies regarding taxation and frontier policy.
- When repeated protests failed to influence British policies the Continental Congress worked with local groups, originally intended to enforce the boycott, to coordinate resistance against the British.
- British officials throughout the colonies increasingly found their authority challenged by informal local governments, although loyalist sentiment remained strong in some areas.
- Finally, the United States was founded on an ideal of democracy on the 4th July 1776 by adopting the Declaration of Independence from the 13 colonies.
- Declaration of Independence :
- The Declaration of Independence was a one-page document, but it laid the foundation for other documents that followed, including the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
- It contains three main ideas:
- All men are created equal.
- All men have certain inalienable rights, which include life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
- People have a civic duty to defend these rights for themselves and for others.