Important Facts For Prelims
Switch To Hindi
10th National Voters' Day
- 25 Jan 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
10th National Voters' Day (NVD) is organized by Election Commission of India on 25th January 2020 to mark 70 years of Election Commission of India (ECI).
- NVD has been celebrated on January 25 every year since 2011.
- Theme: The theme for NVD 2020 is ‘Electoral Literacy for Stronger Democracy’.
- The theme sets the tone for year-long activities which focus on voter education and renewal of citizens’ faith in the electoral process.
- Aim: NVD is celebrated to encourage, facilitate and maximize the voter enrolment, especially for the new voters. The day is utilized to spread awareness among voters for promoting informed participation in the electoral process.
Election Commission of India
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
- ECI was established on 25th January 1950.
- The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, State Legislative Assemblies, and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
- Structure of the Commission
- Originally the commission had only one election commissioner but after the Election Commissioner Amendment Act 1989, it has been made a multi-member body.
- The commission presently consists of one Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) and two Election Commissioners (ECs).
- The secretariat of the commission is located in New Delhi.