World Red Cross Day
- 09 May 2020
- 2 min read
Why in News
Recently, the World Red Cross Day was celebrated by the Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS).
- World Red Cross day is observed on May 8 on the birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, who was the founder of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Henry Dunant was also the recipient of the first Nobel Peace Prize.
- The main aim of the Red Cross Society is basically to inspire, initiate and encourage all kinds of humanitarian activities under all times and circumstances.
- Programmes conducted by the Red Cross Society can be broadly categorised into four parts including the promotion of humanitarian principles and values; disaster response; disaster preparedness; and health and care.
- The Red Cross Society is based on 7 principles namely, humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary, unity and universality.
Indian Red Cross Society
- IRCS is a voluntary humanitarian organization to protect human life and health with the help of its network of over 1100 branches throughout India.
- It was established in 1920 and has completed its 100 years of existence.
- It is a part of the largest independent humanitarian organisation in the world, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Its mission is to provide relief at the time of disasters/emergencies and also promotes healthcare facilities among vulnerable people and communities.
- The President of India is the President and the Union Health Minister is the Chairman of the Society.