- 14 Jan 2020
- 1 min read
Why in News
Recent controversial references to the Bhil tribe by Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commission (MPPSC) has received severe criticism.
- The Bhil are one of the largest tribal groups, living in Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- The name is derived from the word ‘billu’, which means bow.
- The Bhil are known to be excellent archers coupled with deep knowledge about their local geography.
- Traditionally, experts in guerrilla warfare, most of them today are farmers and agricultural labourers. They are also skilled sculptors.
- Bhil women wear traditional saris while men are dressed in long frock and pyjamas. The woman put on heavy ornaments made of silver, brass along with rosaries of beads and silver coins and earing.