Chhattisgarh Switch to Hindi
Nagari Dubraj got GI Tag
Why in News?
On 26 March 2023, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Textiles, Piyush Goyal tweeted that the 'Nagri Dubraj' variety of Nagari paddy of Dhamtari development block of Chhattisgarh has got GI tag.
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal said that Sundarja mango found in Rewa of Madhya Pradesh and Gajak made in Morena have also got GI tag.
- It is noteworthy that 'Nagri Dubraj' is the second crop of the Chhattisgarh, which has got the Geographical Indication Registry Tag, i.e. GI Tag. Prior to this, the state has got GI tag for Jeera Phool paddy variety.
- It is known that in the meeting of Geographical Indication Committee held in Gwalior on 29 November 2021, approval was given for giving GI tag to 'Nagri Dubraj' variety of Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh.
- In the committee formed by Chennai, a team of 10 experts from India examined, tested and accepted the proof of the origin of the city Dubraj.
- It is known that in October 2021, Indira Gandhi Agricultural University, Raipur had sent the proposal of Nagri Dubraj for GI tag.
- Nagari Dubraj is also called Basmati in Chhattisgarh, as this rice is used as a flavored rice in traditional feasts of Chhattisgarh.
- The origin of the city Dubraj is believed to be from Shringi Rishi Ashram area of Sihawa. It is also described in Valmiki Ramayana. In various research papers also, the source of Dubraj has been told to the city Sihawa.
- The rice that comes out of the city of Dubraj is very fragrant. It is a completely native variety and its grains are small. Its rice is very soft to eat after cooking. Up to six quintals of yield is available in one acre. The height of paddy is low and the duration of ripening is 125 days.
- According to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a Geographical Indication tag is a type of label, in which a special geographical identity is given to a particular crop, natural or artificial product. This is considered to be the right of intellectual property.
- It is notable that the Indian Parliament had implemented 'Geographical Indications of Goods' in 1999 under the Registration and Protection Act. On this basis, the legal right of a specific item found in any region of India is given to that state, person or organization etc.
Chhattisgarh Switch to Hindi
Gondwana National Livelihood, Art and Cultural Festival 2023
Why in News?
On 27 March 2023, Chhattisgarh's Agriculture Minister Ravindra Choubey inaugurated the four-day 'Gondwana National Livelihood, Art and Cultural Festival 2023' at BTI Ground, Shankar Nagar Raipur. This event is being organized by the Chhattisgarh Regional Office of NABARD till March 30.
- NABARD has sponsored 120 stalls in the exhibition in which 250 participants including NABARD supported self-help groups, FPOs, artisans from non-agriculture sector have participated.
- 125 participants from various districts of Chhattisgarh, as well as 125 participants from other 15 states of the country namely Maharashtra, Jammu & Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh and Haryana participated in the exhibition and take advantage of it. Apart from this, 125 farmers and artisans from 5 districts of the state have also been invited on exposure visits.
- On this occasion, Agriculture Minister Ravindra Choubey said that such events will play an important role in promoting tribal and cultural tradition. The organization of this fair will encourage rural cottage industries and handicrafts and provide better employment opportunities.
- Apex Bank Chairman Baijnath Chandrakar said that in this national fair of NABARD, stalls have been set up for the exhibition and sale of items manufactured by rural artisans, weavers, self-help groups and farmers from Chhattisgarh as well as other states. NABARD also organizes training programs from time to time to encourage such craftsmen and artisans.
- NABARD Chief General Manager Dr. Gyanendra Mani explained the importance of 'Gondwana National Livelihood, Art and Cultural Festival 2023' and said that NABARD is playing an important role in making rural India self-reliant. Its objective is to provide a platform for display and sale of various products manufactured by NABARD supported Self Help Groups, Artisans, Producer Organizations, Handlooms, Handicrafts Men working in rural areas.
Switch to Hindi